Sunday, August 11, 2013

Week 20

"Whooah, we're half way there..." - Bon Jovi

Hard to believe that I am halfway through this life-changing journey.  Not only did we find out that the little one is a BOY, but I am definitely starting to show and my hips let me know every day that they are expanding and changing as well.  I have noticed the hip changes most during my longer runs.  I was able to get a referral to the physical therapist who is solely doing hip, back, and neck adjustments to realign my body.  My right hip is rotating forward, which in turn is causing my back and the left side of my neck to hurt as well.  The adjustments have truly helped me to continue with my barefoot running without significant pain.  I've also purchased a body pillow to help me sleep more comfortably at night.  So how is barefoot running going this week?  Well, I made one big mistake that is going to take a few weeks to recover.  I went with a friend to get a pedicure.  I know, I know.  Silly, right?  Well, I thought that by telling them to not scrub my callouses off that I would be safe.  Nope.  The foot soak actually softened and removed a good layer of my skin that was protecting me on my runs.  All I can say is, "Ouch!".  I really didn't notice anything during the weekend run but while standing and talking to the group after the run, I realized that I was bleeding.  It isn't even a blister but rather an abrasion from the lack of skin and padding that I had built up over the last several months.  So my weekly word of advice for all of you barefooters, pregnant or not, is to avoid pedicures at all costs!  Embrace your callouses and learn to paint your own toenails.  :)

No comments:

Post a Comment